The video appears to have been on-line for a while on Vimeo, but the news and social-media world seems to have found it again this week. (See references at the foot of this post). The footage was shot by Claude Friese-Green, a pioneer of colour film in the UK.
|Adelaide House. Southern aspect from London Bridge.|
Adelaide House is located in one of London's most prime positions on the north-east shoulder of London Bridge. It, in fact, replaced an earlier building of the same name on the same site, which was named after King William IV's wife, who, in 1831 had performed the opening ceremony of the adjacent London Bridge.
Firstly, it was, at the time of construction, the tallest office building in London. By today's standards, at only 11 storeys high (45m / 148ft) this is hard to imagine. However, the video footage above allows it to be seen in the context of that period and clearly shows a brand new Adelaide House. And in a panning shot of the city skyline there are only the spires of churches and The Monument itself to be seen towering above the London roof-line of the time.
It also was the first building in the UK to have air-conditioning, a mechanised internal mail system. It was the first in the city to use stone cladding over a steel-framed structure. There was even a putting green on the roof.
|Main entrance on the Western side of Adelaide House|
The stone work is broadly Art Deco in style, with, fashionable at the time, Egyptian references and many other ornamental details. The entrance from London Bridge pictured above features bold pseudo-Doric columns in contrasting black granite. The main exterior is faced in white Portland stone, with the base and a frieze around the ninth storey in grey granite.
|North aspect of Adelaide House on Lower Thames Street.|
Interestingly, the east side of Adelaide House is faced in plain brick, and was only exposed after the post-war demolition of a neighbouring building.
As can be seen in the photo above and below, Adelaide House is sited extremely close to the ancient church of St Magnus the Martyr (once situated on the roadway to the Old London Bridge). This was controversial at the time of construction, and The Times
commented that "the new 'architectural Matterhorn' ... conceals all but the tip of the church spire".
|St Magnus the Martyr, with Adelaide House in the background.|
Adelaide House is now a Grade II listed building, and underwent extensive renovation from 2005-2007 by the current occupier Berwin Leighton Paisner.
Daily Telegraph 14/May/2013
London Evening Standard 14/May/2013
English Heritage Listing
I found some amazing historic photographs taken from scans of postcards or slides over on http://www.skyscrapercity.com.
|London Bridge circa 1927 Source: Lost London thread on www.skyscrapercity.com|
|London Bridge pre 1925. Note the earlier Adelaide Buildings. Source: Lost London thread on www.skyscrapercity.com|